Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Nutritious Korean Miyeok Ojingeo Salad (Seaweed Squid Salad)

This  Korean salad not only nutritious, appetizing, refreshing,  scrumptious but healthy, a sure keeper, do book mark and  try it out!  You will fall in Love with this  salad!  You may omit the squid for a vegetarian salad!

April is almost come to an end.  Time is running short, as I will be out of town and be back only 30/4 night!   Stress.....  There are 2 blog events which I would like to submit my post to join in the fun.  One  being the  Asian Food Fest (AFF) - Korean cuisine, and the other Little Thumbs Up with the theme ' Oranges' for the month of April 2014. 

This fantastic healthy Korean Salad was taught by Chef Madam Shin of Korean Tourism Organization, Kuala Lumpur during one of the cooking  demonstration.   And again no recipe is given, participants have to dot down the ingredients and method as our beloved Chef Madam Shin in action.  


My daughter said she can finished the whole dish all by herself and is super yumz!



Recipe adapted by Madam Shin of KTO, KL with some changes.

Ingredients

20gm  Ottogi Seaweed (soaked for 15 mins, rinse and cook over boiling water for about 30 sec to 1 min.  Rinse with cold water and squeeze dry)
1  Japanese cucumber - sliced
1 orange - skinned and cut the fresh into pieces.
1 median squid -  clean and cut pattern on the inside of the squid.
some toasted sesame seeds - for garnishing

Dressing

2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp water
4 tbsp apple vinegar
2 tbsp minced garlic

Mix the ingredients of the dressing and set aside.


The Ottogi Seaweed can be obtained from Korean Supermart.

 The Apple Vinegar 

 The dry  Seaweed



Soak in water for about 15 mins, rinse it.

Boil in hot water for 30sec to 1 mins, rinse with tap water and squeeze out the water.



Clean the squid and slice (with cutting through to create patten) diagonally on the inside of the squid.


 Cook the squid in boiling water, and it will curled.


 Cut the cooked squid into pieces



Cut cucumber

The photos below show how the orange cut and cubed.  (So sorry I forgot to take photos on the last step of cutting the orange fresh in cubes) 




 Lastly, remember to cut the orange into pieces which I forgot to take photos!

Assemble the ingredients in the bowl.  Add in the dressing just before serving!  

 The brown color dressing is because I used Molasses Sugar

This salad I prepared the day before and I so forgetful that I missed out the orange.  Still Yumz.....



  
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal.




I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest: Korea, hosted by Sharon of Feats of Feasts.



8 comments:

  1. Hi Christine, I love this salad. Looks so delicious and refreshing with the orange in it.
    Thank you for your support to this month LTU - Orange theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, my pleasure to be able to join in the fun! Gambateh!

      Delete
  2. Hi Christine,

    You are back!!! Are you at Malaysia now? I hope that your girl is coping well without you :p

    Your Korean seaweed salad looks yummy with lots crunch and flavours! I can only stare and imagine that I'm eating it :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dear Zoe, I am back in Malaysia. Melbourne is too cold for me! Intend to go Melbourne in Feb 15, we can meet up for coffee again!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Christine! I know I will love this salad, kawan! I hope I can find this seaweed at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PH, Most Korean supermarket do sell this seaweed! Give it a try!
      TQ for yr support!

      Delete
  4. This blog is really nice in which you shared that how to make Korean salad and its benefits for health.

    Real Usha Foods | Usha Foods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Angela, TQ! your compliments made my day! ^_^

      Delete