Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Red Yeast Cottony Ogura Cake #11

May is almost coming to a close, and this is my 3rd post of the month.  Felt left far behind and time really don't wait for me!  Long list of things to do,  and time is always  not enough. 

On the other hand, something to cheer me up is the pageview of my blog finally reached 100K and  with 80 followers though at the pace of a snail.   Yeah!  The journey has not been smooth sailing with lot of hiccups and set back.  I would like to take this opportunity to THANK YOU for following and supporting me.  Muakssss...

This round I am adding  red yeast powder to my Zebra Ogura Cake with the other portion I added few drops of peppermint to add the extra flavours and found that the combination is superb! 




   The texture is as soft as ever!  Love it!






To make the Zebra effect  -  Divide the batter into half,  add in red yeast powder in one portion (mix the powder with 2 tbsp of batter before mixing into the 1/2 portion.  Add few drops of peppermint to the  1/2 portion.   Spoon the batter alternately into the cake pan as shown below.




 The red yeast powder



  I am using olive oil for a guilt free cake. LOL  And I used a 7" round cake pan.

Ingredients A
Corn oil  65gm ( I used 60gm of Olive oil)
Milk 80 ml
1/4 tsp salt
5 Egg yolk
1 egg
62gm Superfine flour
3g red yeast powder
few drops of peppermint (Optional)

Ingredients B

5 egg white
75gm caster sugar  (I used 60gm)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I used 1/2 tsp of lemon juice)
 

Method A
  1. Beat egg yolk, whole egg, corn oil, milk and salt till foamy.
  2. Mix in flour and red yeast  powder (if you are not making the zebra design)  slowly till well blended.  Keep aside.
Method B
  1. Beat egg white till foamy add in cream of tartar and sugar, continue beating until the egg white resemble soft peak or will not drop when over turn the mixing bowl.
  2. Mix A and B slowly till well combined.
  3. Pour in a 9" cake pan and  using steam bake  method and bake  for 45 mins at 170°C
  4. Over turn the cake to cool.               
As for the butter cream to sandwich the cake, please refer my previous post  here 


Now guess what is flavors of this Crazy mama next Ogura Cake??  LOL




 



4 comments:

  1. Christine, I must say that the colour and layering is very pretty! Where can I get red yeast powder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phong Hong dear, I got these red yeast powder and the charcoal powder at Milita Bakery Supply located at 355, Jalan Selesa, Happy Garden, Off Kuchai Lama, 58200 Kuala Lumpur, 58200 Kuala Lumpur,
    Phone 03-7987 2993
    They conduct classes too, you may join me one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine, sweet coloured cake. With peppermint, this cake must have the 'cool' feeling, hehehe!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Kimmy I love the cooling sensation with peppermint added!

    ReplyDelete