Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Traditional Apple Pie 传统苹果派

Hope to improve the appearance the 'next time'


Really cant recall when was the last time I made Apple Pie. The good thing for home made bakeries are I reduced the quantity of sugar tremendously. My home made bakeries are less sweet compare to the commercial bakery shops. This apple pie doesn't look nice but taste good. My family really enjoyed the pie, especially my husband snap up almost half of it, when the pie is ready to be served. Hehe.... Here is the recipe 

 675g cooking apples 
100g sugar  
 6 cloves caster sugar for dredging  

Short Crust Pastry  
350g plain flour 1
/2 tsp salt  
175g of butter 
 flour for rolling out
  1. Set the over at 200 degree C ( depend on individual oven, I set my at 140)
  2. To make the pastry sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
  3. add enough cold water to make a stiff dough.
  4. Press the dough together with your fingertips.
  5. roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use just half to line a 9" pie dish.
  6. Peel, core and slice the apples.
  7. Place half in the pastry-lined dish, the add the sugar and cloves.
  8. Pile the remaining apples on top, cover with the remaining pastry and seal the edges,
  9. Brush the pastry with eggs and dredge with caster
  10. Use a fork to prick some holes on the pie to let go steams during baking times
  11. Bake in oven till golden brown about 30 to 40 mins.
Rub in method till resemble bread crumbs


Divide to 2 doughs

Roll on flat surface and line on Pie Dish, Please note my error here is -  the pastry should over hang the pie dish about 1/2 inch.  


Add in the sliced apples, smashed cloves and sugar

Brush with egg and use a fork to prick holes to release air during baking

Tips
I mixed sliced apples, sugar and smashed cloves together on step no. 7 and 8.
I omitted the dredging of sugar.
The original recipe call for 750ml pie dish, mine is 10'' pie dish, I presume 9" should be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment